The Library's collections consist of about 230,000 items in the fields of Finnish literature, literary studies, cultural research, and other fields of the humanities.
The Library has access to a variety of Finnish and international electronic resources.
All library acquisitions since 1992 and a substantial part of earlier material
have been catalogued in Helka, Union Catalogue Database of Helsinki
University libraries. A card catalogue with records for older material
can be found in the Lending Office.
The literary studies collections contain
- Finnish literature written in Finnish, Swedish and Saami
- translations of Finnish literature into foreign languages
- studies in Finnish literature
- biographies of Finnish authors
- a selection of literary periodicals and Finnish cultural journals.
Finnish literature printed in 1950 or after, and Finnish literary studies
printed in or after 1900 and foreign literary studies printed in or after 1970 are placed at open access shelves. Older
material, and the collections of Finnish translations of foreign
literature and of literature in other fields of the humanities,
are located in closed stacks. Orders for this material should be
made at the Lending Office, where the requested material is delivered
twice a day.
The collections of cultural research
- cultural and social anthropology
- religious studies
- ethnomusicology and
- ethnology; and the department holds
- an extensive collection of series and periodicals
The material on cultural research is to be found mainly at the
open access shelves. Finnish books printed before 1900, and foreign
books printed before 1970 are located in closed stacks. Orders for
the material in closed stacks should be made at the Lending Office, where the requested material
is delivered twice a day.