Using the Archive Materials
Using the materials
You can use the materials in the research rooms (at Helsinki: Hallituskatu 1, Mariankatu 19 E) and the Joensuu Folklore Archives (at Joensuu).
- We recommend contacting the Archives in advance to get instant access to the materials.
- You may access not only the catalogue but also some on the archive material online.
- In addition to our online database, you may also utilize the manual card catalogues in the research rooms.
- At our Archives, we will assist you in ordering and using microflms from outside archives, libraries
and museums in Finland.
- We will guide and help you in ordering and using materials.
Regulations and restrictions
In signing an order form for materials, you agree to abide by SKS's regulations and argee that you will not use the data to the detriment of individuals or to demean the individuals or their relatives who disclosed the information to them. You must also comply with the restrictions set by donors. The use of the material must comply with the Act on the Openness of Government Activities of the Finnish authorities (621/1999) 27 §n, and the provisions of the copyright legislation: 10 § of, the Personal Data Act (523/1999) and the constitutional protection of private life (731/1999). The laws relating to data, and the regulations, rules and instructions, are available in the archive research rooms.
Research and publication
In your research, you must quote and cite references in accordance with the rules and regulations of the archives
- You must mention the Finnish Literature Society in your list of sources. In other respects, comply with general scholarly reference practice. The customer service will give you more detailed guidance on the referencing of materials.
- Permission is always required to publish archive material. You must agree on the procedures with the Archives.
- You must provide the archives with a copy of the publication in which archival materials have been
Interlibrary loan service
You may request microfilms at the Literary Archives as an inter-library loan from other archives, libraries and museums.
- The microfilms are mainly of correspondence and manuscript materials
- The contents of microfilms may be copied only by agreement
- Interlibrary loans are subject to a fee set by SKS
- If you would like to request an interlibrary loan, please contact the customer service of the Archives