Dr Ilona Pikkanen
Research Manager, Researcher
Phone: +358 (0)40 7618614
- 19th-century historical culture
- diachronic and synchronic comparisons
- historical fiction
- history of historiography
- Digital Humanities
Ilona Pikkanen is the research manager at the research department of Finnish Literature Society. She has lately published on transtemporal history culture (Geschichtskultur) of medieval and early modern popular uprisings in Finland and Sweden from c. 1600 to c. 1970. She holds a Title of Docent (Adjunct Professor) at the University of Oulu, Finland. Currently she is the PI of a multidisciplinary consortium Constellations of Correspondence: Relational Study of Large and Small Networks of Epistolary Exchange in the Grand Duchy of Finland (CoCo), funded by the Academy of Finland (2021-2025; decision numbers 339828, 340834 and 339918).
- 1590-luvun aateli suomalaisten ja ruotsalaisten historioitsijoiden silmin 1900-luvun alkupuolella. Historiallinen Aikakauskirja 2/2020, 166–177.
- The Metrics and Poetics of Historical Drama: the Dramatis Personae of a Premodern Revolt in the Early Nineteenth-Century Finland. Orbis Litterarum. Volume 74, Issue 5. October 2019, 311–339.
- Poster: Helsinki Digital Humanities Hackathon 2019: Pills and Persuasion. The Language of Advertisments in 19th-century British Newspapers (Jean-Caurant et al. 2019).
- Hiding in Plain Sight: Poetry in Newspapers and How to Approach It (with A. Dominowska et al.) Human-IT: Journal for Information Technology Studies as a Human Science. Vol 14, No 2: Nordic Digital Resources and Practices, 2019, 145–171.
- The Emergence of a Story Space: The Image of the Club War (1596–97) in Swedish and Finnish Historiography, 1620–1860. Scandinavian Journal of History, 2018, Vol. 43, No. 4, 515-538.
- Theatrical Societies: Finland. Encyclopedia of Romantic Nationalism in Europe, ed. Joep Leerssen, 2017 (electronic version; Amsterdam: Study Platform on Interlocking Nationalisms, www.romanticnationalism.net
- Linda Kaljundi, Eneken Laanes, Ilona Pikkanen (eds.): Novels, Histories, Novel Nations: Historical Fiction and Cultural Memory in Finland and Estonia. Studia Fennica Historica 19. Helsinki: Finnish Literature Society, 2015. (340 pp.)
- Historiographical Narratology: A Narrativist Close Reading of a Cultural History of the Early Twentieth Century. In New Approaches to Narrative. Ed. Vera Nünning. Trier: WVT, 2013, p. 223-236.
- Casting the Ideal Past: a Narratological Close Reading of Eliel Aspelin-Haapkylä`s History of the Finnish Theatre Company (1906-1910) (doctoral thesis)
- Theatre Histories and the Construction of National Identity. Cases Norway and Finland. In Nationalizing the Past. Historians as Nation-Builders in Modern Europe. Eds. Stefan Berger and Chris Lorenz. Palgrave Macmillan 2010, p. 209–232.