Dr Kati Kallio
- Finnic oral poetry and vernacular beliefs
- performance, genre and intertextuality
- emotion, ritual and resilience
- metrics and music
Kati Kallio works as a postdoctoral researcher in the project Ambiguous and Hybrid Oral poetics: Registers of Expression and Layers of Belief in Western Finland (1564–1900) of the Finnish Academy (no. 308381), in colaboration with the project Letters and songs: Registers of beliefs and expressions in the Early Modern North. She is interested in the uses and hybrid forms of Kalevala-metric poetry, rhymed folk songs, charms, Lutheran hymns and literary poems in early and late modern Finland. In a related project, she examines the relationships of poetics, metrics and music in the early 20th century sound recordings of Kalevala-metric poetry.
Combining views from folklore studies, linguistic anthropology, ethnomusicology and history, Kallio is particularly interested in questions relating to recording history, oral poetics, ritual and emotion. She wrote her PhD thesis on the performance arenas, song registers and local genres in Ingrian oral poetry.
Selected publications (more in TUHAT):
- Parallelism and Musical Structures in Ingrian and Karelian Oral Poetry. – Oral Tradition 31(2): 331–354 (Parallelism in Verbal Art and Performance, ed. by Frog & Lotte Tarkka). http://journal.oraltradition.org/issues/31ii/kallio
- Literary Kalevala-Meter and Hybrid Poetics in the 16th and 17th Century Finland. – Folklore: electronic journal of folklore 67, 13–48. https://doi.org/10.7592/FEJF2017.67.kallio
- Changes in the Poetics of Song during the Finnish Reformation – Re-forming the Early modern North: Text, Music and Church Art, eds. Tuomas M. S. Lehtonen & Linda Kaljundi, Amsterdam University Press 2016, pp. 125–155. (In HELDA.)
- Multimodal Register and Performance Arena in Ingrian Oral Poetry – Registers of Communication, eds. Asif Agha & Frog, Finnish Literature Society, 2015, pp. 322–335.
- Laulamisen tapoja. Esitysareena, rekisteri ja paikallinen laji länsi-inkeriläisessä kalevalamittaisessa runossa [Ways of Singing. Performance Arena, Register and Local Genre in West-Ingrian Oral Poetry, abstract in English]. Helsinki: Helsingin yliopisto, 2013. http://urn.fi/URN:ISBN:978-952-10-9566-5.