About the Finnish Literature Society (SKS)
- is a learned society and non-governmental organization founded in 1831
- stores, preserves and studies Finnish culture
- is Finland's largest scholarly and non-fiction publisher in the field of the humanities
- provides grants for the export of Finnish literature
- conveys information about oral and written Finnish cultures and their study.
At SKS Finnish oral culture is modified by literary means, and Finnish is developed as a language of the civilized world.
The Finnish word kirjallisuus (literature) was devised for the name of the Finnish Literature Society in 1831.